Temporary Ban on US Politics
EDIT: The ban has been extended indefinitely, until such time where the mod team determines it's safe to revoke it. We've noticed that this sub does not suffer from lack of quality content without the political posts, and provides a safe haven from people, both in the US and overseas, who want a slight break from the incessant shitshow that is the US political system.
Members and subscribers of r/MurderedByWords - You have spoken, and we have listened.
Over the past year we've been deluged with messages, direct chats and modmails asking us to please do something about the incessant political posts on this sub. We have been called "a less funny version of r/politicalhumor", which is pretty damn insulting.
However, when we tried to have a temporary ban on all political content, the subreddit suffered - Less posts were submitted, which led to less comments and less interaction. We need to remember that the final purpose of this sub is to entertain our subscribers, visitors and lurkers, provide you the content you are looking for.
Fast forward to today - It's 2 months before the US Presidential, Congressional and Senatorial Elections, the political posts are getting worse than ever, and with them the requests to do something about it. To that end, the moderation team has discussed this, and beginning from Sept 3, we will be imposing a temporary ban on all things related to the US Elections until after Elections Day (Nov 3).
What does this mean? Posts meeting any of these criteria will be removed immediately, and the user will receive a temporary ban:
- If any of the people in the post is in public office, is running for public office, or holds a position in the current administration or the campaign staff
- If the subject of the post is in public office or running for public office, or holds a position in the current administration or the campaign staff
- If any of the people in the post or the subject of the post is anyhow related to the Trump or Biden family or to someone who holds a position in the current administration or the campaign staff
Examples of posts which are now prohibited include:
- Orange Man Bad
- Jeff Tiedrich (who really needs to get a fucking life)
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tweets
- Lincoln Project
- The Conway family
- Hunter Biden posts
Please note that this is NOT YET a full ban on all political subjects or a full ban on all political content going beyond the elections. We will be keeping very close attention during the upcoming two months to see how the subreddit and our members react to this ban. If we see that it is successful, we may choose to extend it. We also would appreciate your comments on this post to let us know your thoughts on the subject.